January 16: LS-282

Several years ago I made a monumental effort to gather all of my scattered records and find out how many sculptures I'd made. Why? People always ask.

In the old days I just went out and did sculpture. The questions came in, and I had to figure out something to call them, so I came up with the build number. I'd only give a sculpture a build number, as in 04F-1, if it was completed. Sculptures that went on the ground didn't count.

At least, at the beginning. Later, I got good enough at packing that there were no immediate failures. So, I'd work on a sculpture most of the day and then it would fall over. These attempts seemd to need some sort of recognition, but they couldn't have build numbers. So, I read the notes, counted the starts, and came up with the "Lifetime Start" number. This is a cumulative count of all "major" sculptures.

What constitutes a major sculpture is subject to change. Right now it only includes formed ones, but I have in the past counted big free-piles in the list. I wouldn't want any of this to be simple.

Anyway, here's one that fell over. I don't know why. There's no report for this piece, and I just don't remember. Note that I performed various experiments on the ruins, spraying it with a stream of water and dumping buckets on it to see how the sand flows. Also note that this is typical: when something falls off of one of my sculptures, it takes out everything below it.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?